Wednesday, July 11, 2007

I can't believe this...

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cartoonist-doug-marlette-dies-in-crash/20070710164709990001

I actually met this man a few months ago. He spoke at our elementary school and I spoke with him and helped him carry a box of his books to be signed to the front of the school. He was so kind and funny. He personalized the autograph of a first edition of The Bridge thusly:

"TO JEANNETTE-      

    FELLOW DESCENDANT OF COTTON MILL WORKERS! BLESS YOUR HEART!        

                               DOUG MARLETTE"

This is exactly how he signed it, all caps and with the mispelling of my name. Who was I to correct him, right? Anyway, with all his success and celebrity he took time with everyone who wanted to talk to him after his moving speech. He was a Pulitzer Prize winner after all. What a sad day.

 

No comments: