Monday, August 18, 2008

My Walk

Sooo....let me tell you about my walk today. I started out with the regimen that Tim and I did all last week, while he was off work. We would each take 2 dogs on a 2 mile walk. I admit, I had the easier of the four dogs, Wolfie and Baci. They both stay close and walk at a good pace for me. He always had Duchess, who is a good walker also and Baby who is a monster! She will not heel, she pulls so hard that you have to yank and make her stop every so often. Well, John decided to do the walk with me and he had my dogs from last week and I had Baby and Duchess. Baby would not cooperate. She pulled as though her life depended on it, as though she were in the Iditarod and I was yelling "Mush! Mush!" I felt like my arm was going to come out of my shoulder socket. After about 200 yards or so I told John, "You are going to have to take Baby back to her crate. I can't take it anymore." He gave me Wolfie and ran back to the house, which Baby was happy to do...I guess she wanted to run all along. Anyway, she was crated because she would definitely break through the invisible fence after us if we didn't do so. I told John I would walk slowly and wait on him to return for the walk. We have been walking to the large lake's beach/boat ramp area which is one mile from our house. This gives the dogs a place to cool off in the lake as well as water to drink. Anyway, I make it to an empty lot at the beginning of our street and decide to walk a bit in the grass to wait on John. After standing there for a bit, Wolfie decides to freak out like I haven't seen. She pulls so hard to get away that her head comes out of her collar and in my exasperation with her I begin to realize why she was getting away so rapidly. We were standing in FIRE ANTS which had at that very moment decided to bite me, all of them at once. What a desperate feeling that is! While trying to run after Wolfie to catch her and not lose the other dogs I was ripping off my shoes and socks to get the ants off me. It was CRAZINESS! I would estimate about twenty of them bit. It was pretty bad. I get things under control and finally, John makes his way back to me. He takes Wolfie and we continue our journey to the big lake. We sip our water bottles along the way, chat and just enjoy the walk, despite my itchiness from the ant bites. We make it to the lake and John talks about how tired he is due to his running and I tell him we will take a break and rest at the lake and let the dogs in the water and let them rest as well. When we arrive John sits on the concrete under a tree with Wolfie by his side and I have Baci and Duchess just chilling nearby while I stand in the shade. Suddenly, I feel the backs of my legs go very warm, then very wet. Baci had lifted his leg and let loose with a pee like I've never seen. I was soaked! It smelled strongly of urine. I was livid! I couldn't believe it! I absolutely could not walk back with that all over me so the only thing I could do was once again, rip off my shoes and socks and go into the lake up to my knees and basically wash the pee off me. I was so ready to be home, you just don't know. What a morning! I finally dried enough to put my shoes back on and we headed home. I doubt I will soon forget this day!

No comments: